Common Yet Unexpected Household Toxins: Info from a Vet in Morristown


Thanks to the World Wide Web, pet parents are more knowledgeable about caring for their companions than before. With a wealth of info in your pocket and at your fingertips, learning more about your dog or cat is fairly simple. Still, though, many dog and cat owners don't realize several everyday things could hurt their pets. Nearly everyone is aware that chocolate and human medications are toxic to pets, but several other household items are just as unsafe. With this month being National Pet Poison Prevention Month, it's a terrific time to read more about common yet surprising dangers. Please read on to discover some household items you might not know could harm your four-legged best friend.

1. Xylitol

You might not recognize xylitol by its name, but you probably have it in your home. This artificial sweetener is used in many sugar-free foods and snacks, especially candy and gum. Unfortunately, this substance is far from sweet for your pets. If eaten, Xylitol may cause blood sugar levels to drop. It's also been linked to serious liver damage. With food manufacturers using this ingredient more often, it's showing up in new products regularly. Even certain peanut butter contains xylitol. Be sure to read labels before giving your canine companion or feline friend human food! 

2. Raisins and Grapes

You and your family might enjoy snacking on grapes and raisins, but these foods aren’t safe for pets. Research hasn’t uncovered exactly why these fruits are so toxic to companion animals, but munching on just one or two raisins or grapes can cause severe kidney damage. 

3. Indoor Plants

If you have houseplants, be sure to restrict your cat or dog's access. A lot of popular houseplants are toxic to cats and dogs and may cause problems ranging from mild intestinal upset to severe organ damage and even death. Snake plants, aloe, dracaena, and philodendrons are just a few examples of houseplants known to harm companion animals. 

What to Do If Your Cat or Dog is Exposed to Poison

If you ever have any reason to think your four-legged family member might have swallowed or been exposed to a toxin or poison, seek help promptly. Your pet requires an evaluation even if they have no visible symptoms. Get in touch with the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information. 

When your four-legged best friend needs a skilled mobile veterinarian in Morristown, reach out to Happy Paws House Calls. Our veterinarians provide both preventative care and treatment for illnesses and will give your pet the care they need.  To find out more about us and our services or make an appointment for your furry friend, contact us today.



Safe, Effective Flea and Tick Prevention in Morris...
Holiday Gift Ideas for Pets

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://happypawshousecall.com/


Call for phone consultation with

Dr. Mandeep Mini and her team are committed to providing necessary pet services for your fur babies in the comfort of your home.

Working hours

Open 9am-9pm EST
Monday to Sunday

After hours appointments available upon request